Monday, September 07, 2009

Me in the Medical Industry? Maybe

I never imagined I would ever consider joining the medical industry, yet here I am with an appointment to tour a campus on Wednesday. I'll be the first to admit that I could never, ever be a doctor or nurse. On the other end of the spectrum, medical billing sounds horribly boring and repetitive.

But while looking at vocational schools (which I find much more appealing than taking math and speech and any number of other general education courses to get a degree), I took note of the pharmacy tech position. Not only is it an important role in the medical industry, but it seems to have enough elements involved to keep it interesting.

I can see myself doing it, and, more importantly, enjoying it. I do like working on a team to achieve a common goal.

The world will always need pharmacy techs, and I like that stability. I have yet to assess the current availability of positions, but the pay is better than I will probably ever make at my current job.

I have concerns about being able to balance school and work; having schedule limitations is basically frowned upon at my job.

But taking a tour is not a commitment. I look at it as opening a door and peeking inside before deciding to enter. Maybe I'll find that a pharmacy tech position doesn't interest me, after all. But I have to try. I need a career, not a job.

No comments: