Saturday, November 01, 2008

The Happening: But Why?

Christy and I watched The Happening over at my brother's house last night. I was really loving the movie. I thought I was going to be blown away again, much like I was with Sixth Sense. And then the movie ended. No explanations. No answers, other than a hypothetical theory developed by the characters. (And, mind you, that theory was developed early on in the movie.) We're only left with the promise that this "event" (as they so often refer to it in the movie) is likely to happen again and again.

The movie seems half-written. I don't know if a sequel is planned, but I doubt it. I think M. Night Shyamalan was going for the artsy ending. But does it work? Not if it leaves the viewer completely unfulfilled.

And, oh yes, candy was consumed.

No comments: